We all get those emails…and now, heaven forbid…those texts. The ones offering a sale, or promoting an event, that we can’t quite figure out why we’re being alerted about. Oh well, no biggie…delete. Then you get another one, and another one, and a reminder, and before you know it, you’re getting a message a day, then multiple messages a day…delete, delete, delete. WHY ARE YOU HERE??? WHO SENT YOU???
If you’re like me, it’s not enough to delete and keep it moving. I want to find the root of the problem and cut off the source, and let them know not to EVER EVER EVER come around here no mo!!! DO. NOT. SEND. ME. ANOTHER. EMAIL.!!!! Since the source is probably a sold marketing list from someone I bought something from six months ago…or an event I expressed interest in but never attended (how many times have I done that??), finding the source is not likely to happen, I tuck my tail and opt for the next best, yet not quite as satisfying, thing…I click unsubscribe.
Then to add insult to injury, that little message pops up saying that they hate to see me go, and asking what did they do wrong. Ha! What did you do wrong??? You sent me an email! Please click the box that applies–they ask. Where is the box that says WHO. SENT. YOU.????
Then they probe me further. Do we send too many emails? Do you want to revise your subscription? I NEVER SUBSCRIBED!!! Do you only want to hear about sales and special events? Seasonal messages? Certain products? What? How can we keep you??? Please don’t go!!!
It is getting harder and harder to just live in peace, uninterrupted and unbothered. Stores and people will intrude on your space without thinking about it for a millisecond. Any opportunity that they can find to jam their issues or products smack into your face, they will take it.
And it’s not just businesses that do this. Do you ever find that your day is going along perfectly fine, and someone figures out how to disrupt your peace with their drama? Can you help? Can you buy? Can you advise me? Can you listen to this? Take my side? Do me a favor?
Or what about the oh so important news alerts, or text message notifications from the chat group you don’t remember ever asking to be in? It is virtually impossible these days to just be. Uninterrupted and unbothered. Impossible.
But here’s the good news. That unsubscribe button…it’s there for a reason, and you should definitely use it. Use it now, and use it often. Yes, you should not have to use it, but if it helps to make your life a little less irritating, then click it hard and fast! And don’t give it another thought.
To preserve your peace of mind, to maintain your sanity, or to save your wallet, unsubscribe from these items ASAP:
- Emails from stores that you rarely or never shop at
- Email lists that message often, but you rarely read
- Any text messages from a business you have no interest in
- Emails that tempt you daily about a product you don’t need and should never purchase
- Group chats that are constantly dramatic
- Emails about items that are no longer relevant (you already bought the house, why do you need to keep hearing from the realtor?)
- Emails about events that you’ve decided are of no interest to you
- Emails that are clearly from a company that you’ve never had a relationship with and never will
- Continuous emails from hotel and travel sites when the promotions aren’t typically as good as they lead you to believe
- Social media accounts that don’t serve as a source of information, joy, comedy, inspiration, or motivation
Life is hard enough sometimes. Do you really need mental interruptions that impact your peace of mind? If the answer is no, do yourself a favor–unsubscribe!!