I recently found myself at a crossroad.
I knew I wanted to accomplish a certain goal, and the way to accomplish this goal was to use this specific application. The issue for me was 1) I didn’t understand what this application was; 2) I didn’t understand how this application fit into the overall process of what I already knew; and 3) I didn’t know how to use or implement this application.
To add to the obstacle, in order to play around with and learn this application, it would cost money. No free trials here. So I would have to pay money just to figure out what the application was was and how to use it, before I actually even implemented it. So in addition to my lack of knowledge, I would also have to spend money. In my budget-DIY world of learning and business, it just wasn’t checking the right boxes for me.
Overall, these items ultimately became my stopping point. Instead of figuring it all out, I just shut down and did nothing.
For about a year.
Lazy + Cheap = Absolutely no movement towards my goal. For a year.
That. Is. Ridiculous.
In the meantime, I tried other variants of actions. Low scale, small results type actions that helped me learn a little and earn just as little. But ultimately did NOT get me to where I had been striving to get.
SO now here I am again, a year later, realizing that, in order to advance to the goal that I set, I have to learn this application and implement what I learn. I finally said to myself…LEARN THE D*MN APPLICATION!!!!
Like…am I going to risk just not accomplishing my goals because of this ONE thing I don’t understand??? Chick…are you actually serious??? NO! I did not come this far to let something so small be the reason I don’t accomplish my goals.
So I got out of my own way. I googled some articles, read some manuals, and got to work! And in literally one evening, I made more progress than I made in a year. Now I’m well on my way to being able to implement the knowledge and hopefully also well on my way to accomplishing the goal I set for myself. And ultimately on my way to MAKING MORE MONEY!! KA-CHING!
Please tell me I am not alone. Do you ever find yourself immobile because you just cannot find the energy, strength, or money to figure out how to progress forward? I’m going to assume I’m not alone with this. (Please tell me I’m not alone!)
If you are like me, and find yourself stuck, I want to help. Because being stuck sucks. Especially when you’re stuck because of your own self. So here are seven steps that helped me get going. You can use these when you find yourself at a mental roadblock and are unsure how to move forward.
- Envision what you want. Be clear. What does success on the other side of this blockage look like? What specifically will you be/have/do once you clear this hurdle? Is it a financial accomplishment? Health? Education? Envision yourself in your new home, finishing that marathon, wearing that bikini, or writing that new accomplishment on your resume. Visualize clearly. Let that be your motivation.
- Identify the specific action or thing that is preventing you from moving forward. The action may be something big or it may be small. Do you have to pass a test? Are you unable to find time? Do you not quite understand one thing, and that one thing holds the key to bigger things? Write down the one, or the few things, that are keeping you from accomplishing the goal ahead.
- Note the specific reason that this action is difficult to tackle. Dig even deeper and get to the root. Are you unable to study because you don’t feel like it? Is there one thing in the material that requires explanation? Do you not have time because you have to work, take care of children, and find time to rest? Are you not sure which method of moving forward is the best option for you and now have analysis paralysis?
- Write down a list of ways that you could clear that obstacle. Is there someone you could ask for help? Is there a website online that may have an answer? Do you need someone to babysit? Are you hesitant to spend money? Can you research the best option online? Do you need to speak to someone about their experience? What specifically will help you overcome this obstacle? Write down one way, or a couple of options for clearing this obstacle.
- Designate a specific start time. Look at your calendar, figure out your upcoming schedule. Pick a time that you will start devoting to your action. If your action is researching options, pick a time that you will sit down and begin your research. You may not hammer it all out in one sitting, but if you don’t make a plan and set aside time, that time will pass and you will be no further along.
- Be intentional. Even if you only have 20 minutes of solid time this week to devote, make that time as productive as you possibly can make it. Turn off distractions, put your phone down, have your note-taking devices prepared. Make that time count.
- Designate a specific time for your foreseeable sessions. If you know that you have an hour before the kids get off the bus, let that be your specific time going forward. If you’re working on losing weight, have your sneakers, sports bra, headphones and gear set out and ready. When that hour approaches, you can jump to action as soon as it hits. No excuses. No fetching. Get to it.
What I’ve noticed is that each small action snowballs into the next action. Getting started helped me to gather the momentum to keep going.
Once you hit the brakes on a plan, you just have to figure out how to get going again. Get unstuck and keep moving! Don’t dismiss how important this goal is to you and your future. Your goal is important and you are worth the effort!
Do you have any tips to add? Anything work for you that I haven’t mentioned? Let me know your thoughts on roadblocks!