Anyone that knows me knows that I love a good DIY project. Something simple that I can make with dollar tree items or, even better, items that I already have in my home, is an absolute winner for me. When I stumbled across this DIY on pinterest, I HAD to make it.
I am still digital nomadding, so my boyfriend and I decided that spending a bunch on holiday decor just wasn’t on our list of priorities. We wanted to be festive, but didn’t want to throw money down the drain on disposable items that we wouldn’t keep, and definitely did not want more items to haul around. So this project really felt like something that fit the bill.
I already had everything in my home, and I thought this was a great way to do something easy while I’m zoned out in front of the telly. So let’s get into it.
- Cotton balls
- Paper towel roll
- A board or book that you can wrap the string around
- Snip off small sections of the paper towel roll
- Wrap your string around the board or book about 25 times
- Cut the end, then cut the bottom section of your string, so that you have 25 independent sections of string
- Loop and tie the string around one of your paper towel roll sections
- Continue until the entire roll is covered
- Push the yarn through the paper towel roll so that it dangles out the other side
- Grab the string with one hand, and put two cotton balls into the space to form the hat
- Wrap string around the part of the string that you grabbed and tie in a knot
- Cut off excess string and form into a pom on the top of the hat
I used eight hats for my space. I hung a piece of string across my fireplace and then tied the hats to the string. I loved how it came out. It’s just entirely too cute!
Another cute project that I tried was this snowball garland. So cute, so simple, and I was able to use items right in my home. Just be sure to keep each string completely separated from each other until you have them hung. They can get quite tangled.
That project can be found here: (I didn’t use glue and found that the project held up fine.)
And ICYMI, of course I posted on IG about my holiday salt dough ornaments which were fun and easy to make!
Have you done any easy diy projects this holiday? Let me know what else I need to try!
Let me know!
2 thoughts on “Easy DIY Winter Hat Holiday Garland”
I haven’t done a DIY for Christmas in so long. Love this though.
It was therapeutic…something to do while I zoned out in front of the television.