[DISCLAIMER: Some links in this post contain affiliate links. This means I get a commission if you purchase the product through my link at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.]
I had had it. My skin was going through this super splotchy, uneven, dry phase and I was over it. I reached out to my girlfriend Sherri, who is on top of her skin care, and I asked if she had any suggestions.
She asked if I used hyaluronic acid in my skin routine.
Did she just say ACID???
I’ve always had a pretty basic skincare routine. A reliable cleanser and a reliable moisturizer, and that was about all I ever did. Occasionally I may have tried an eye cream or a night time oil in the winter, but that was about it.
I’ve heard the term “hyaluronic acid”, but it never struck me as something I should really pay much attention to, and I’ve never associated acid with something that SHOULD come in contact with my skin. But I’m getting older, and **ahem** women of a certain age need to invest a little more time and money into their skincare routine, and that may mean branching out into unknown territory.
My girlfriend Sherri sent me a link to The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid Serum, and I purchased it. I admit, I was still scared to death of acid, and scared that a new product would jack up my skin. My skin is fairly basic…give it what it wants, drink water, and nobody gets hurt. But give it one bad thing and all hell breaks loose. Even though I felt like I needed to improve the tone and texture of my skin, I was nervous about messing up the skin tone that I already had. My skin wasn’t GREAT, but it definitely wasn’t HORRIBLE. I’ve never really suffered from acne except the occasional pimple from time to time, and I don’t have any serious chronic blemish or face problems. But the dullness, the occasional dark areas…it all just made me feel old and ugly.
I really didn’t have a lot of faith in one product being able to really do too much to turn my skin around, and honestly, I expected a complete breakout…but I figured I’d give it a shot.
Here’s a little background info about hyaluronic acid.
- Hyaluronic acid is a substance that is naturally present in the human body.
- Hyaluronic acid works by acting as a cushion and lubricant in the joints and other tissues.
- Hyaluronic acid is used to treat a wide variety of ailments from knee injury to cataracts.
- Some research shows that injecting a specific hyaluronic acid medical device into facial wrinkles can reduce wrinkles for up to one year.
- Hyaluronic acid can help the skin look and feel more supple.
- When applied to the surface of the skin, hyaluronic acid serums can reduce wrinkles, redness and dermatitis. Some dermatologists even inject hyaluronic acid fillers to keep skin looking firm and youthful.
- Hyaluronic acid helps the skin maintain moisture and helps the tissue regeneration process involved in healing wounds.
- Hyaluronic acid is suitable for all skin types.
- When paired with a Vitamin C serum, hyaluronic acid can help reduce and prevent age spots and pigmentation issues.
- Products formulated with hyaluronic acid can brighten skin’s appearance. Skin will appear smoother and plumped with hydration after using.
ABOUT THE PRODUCT:
Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 from The Ordinary is a lightweight water-based serum formulated with a combination of low, medium, and high molecular-weight hyaluronic acid, and a hyaluronic acid crosspolymer for multi-depth hydration.
-Replenishes lost moisture
-Maintains healthy-looking skin
-Provides enhanced barrier support
-PH 6.50 – 7.50
-Hyaluronic Acid Cross-Polymer
Within a few weeks, I definitely noticed skin improvements. It just hit me one day that my skin looked so moisturized and way more bright than it had in the past. Since the only thing that had changed in my face routine was the hyaluronic acid, that HAD to be what it was!
I noticed that I have not been focusing on using as many brightening corrections when I edit my pictures. I really have not been thinking about using concealer or foundation to even out my skin lately. My skin definitely looked healthier, more even, and brighter. And it even feels more dewy and overall more moisturized.
So I am about five months into the bottle that I purchased and it is DEFINITELY a solid part of my skin care routine. I will absolutely continue to use this product for the indefinite future, and will also be adding other items from The Ordinary line into my regiment.
Adding hyaluronic acid to my daily routine could not have been easier. Here’s what I do each time I wash my face.
-Wash with my face cleanser
-Pat my face with towel
-Put on the serum (I’m pretty generous with it) and allow to dry for a few minutes
-Put on my normal face moisturizer
This could not be any easier! It doesn’t add much more time to my routine, and I’m not even sure that you have to wait for the serum to dry. I will continue to use this product. And actually, my girlfriend Sherri also told me to incorporate glycolic acid as a toner into my routine. I wanted to see how my face would respond to one thing at a time, so I started with the hyaluronic, but now I feel comfortable enough to add the The Ordinary Glycolic Acid to my regiment. So that’s next!
Do you use either of these products? What’s a must-have in your skin regiment? I’d love to know!